Thursday, February 25, 2021

oh yeah, it's all coming together now

 Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, this is the moment you and I have waited for. My research blog has finally arrived! 

With lots of reflecting and epic brainstorms, I have gathered some examples from specific scenes of past coming of age/comedy films that gave me inspiration for the vision that I have for my film opening, along with a past Portfolio project with the same genre as mine! 

Are you excited? Of course you are ;).

But before I show you my research examples, though, let's discuss some changes I've decided upon to spice up my opening. Initially, as you can view on my previous blog post about the opening, I wanted to start the opening with the main character darting through her room, trying to find an outfit for her first day of school. However, when I pitched this idea to my AICE Media teacher, she pointed out that that idea is a little cliché because many coming of age films have scenes that are exactly the same as that one. So, she gave me and Isabella great suggestions when we three met together and said that we should begin with the main character talking to her mirror, and then end the scene with a shot of her school, which has the camera slowly move to her looking at the school. Then, she takes a deep breath, and leaves the camera shot, indicating that she is entering her new school. 

Now, here we come with my research examples (yayaa!!) So, for the whole, what I like to call, "mirror-talking" scene, I mainly got my inspiration from a coming of age Netflix series called I am Not Okay with This (if you haven't checked it out, please do so, it's soooo good!) Anyways, there was one scene in particular that came to mind which inspired my idea- and that was the scene where one character, named Stanley is getting ready for a party and plans on asking his crush out in the party. Stanley practices what he is going to say to his crush named Syd in front of his mirror while getting ready for the party (he talk to his mirror in the video's time frame of 1:12).  When I first saw this, I thought it was both hilarious and absolutely adorable. But mainly, it was one of the many scenes from that series that gave me the best coming of age vibes. Therefore, I just knew  that I had to make a scene like this one. 

And as for the scene where the main character is staring at her new school, this was inspired by an opening scene from the hit comedy movie, Mean Girls (again, if you haven't seen this film yet, strongly recommended to have a good laugh!) In one of the opening scenes, the main character of the movie, named Cady, is shot entering her new school for the first time (time stamp for when this shot begins is 1:21). Cady is pictured throughout this shot looking around on her campus with a sense of wonderment, as if she's a fish that just splashed into a new pond. This is also something I wanted to do to paint the main character of my opening in this light. Cady, like my main character, is the new girl at school, so she definitely gave me many ideas for how to incorporate my character. 

My research will definitely not come to a halt here, though. I know that throughout me and Isa's journey of creating this film, we will stumble across new ideas and be inspired by other films.


No comments:

Post a Comment

my CCR

During my time working on the movie, I have created a Creative Critical Reflection (CCR) to answer the 4 specific questions about my movie: ...