Friday, February 26, 2021

bags and a brave, stupid new world


 I have very good news to talk about today ;)...

I was thinking about what song would go along with the opening. I knew that in order to pick the perfect song, I would first have to identify the vibe that I wanted it translate throughout the film. This particular vibe would be a cool, mellow feeling, which I think fits especially well with coming of age films.

Luckily for me, I often listen to coming of age playlists that I find in YouTube to listen to while I’m doing schoolwork. Most of the songs in this playlists have songs specific to the vibe I’m looking for. So, one day I was playing around with one of those playlists, trying to find that one perfect song for the opening. Suddenly, Bags by solo artist Clairo starts playing. This song carried the chill vibes I was looking for the second the first beats started playing. I thought, “I have to get permission to get this song. It’ll be perfect!” 

So I looked up Clairo’s record company and found out that it was called Fader Label. I looked up their contact info, found their email, and write to them to ask for permission straight away. After I sent the email, I was so anxious. I didn’t think they would respond soon enough because I thought that they might be too busy to respond. But I didn't need to worry, though. Someone responded the very day I asked for permission to use Bags!

Here is their response:

Yasmine, I know you can’t read this, but thank you queen 😌👆.

BUT, the good news doesn’t stop there! We found a title that fits our theme for our chosen genre perfectly. A title that beautifully envelopes how stepping into a whole new school really is. 

Our title will be “The Stupid, Brave New World.”

I know I know, I’m a genius when thinking about corny movie titles 😗❤️.

Let’s elaborate on the title, though. I wanted to use the word “stupid” to fill in how school might be seen for our character. Since this new school isn’t what she is used to, it has a big possibility of feeling somewhat weird or ridiculous to her. However, “brave” also comes into play because, as I have described in my recent blog, despite my characters feelings of insecurity and feeling like she will say something stupid, she still walks into her new school with bravery and purpose on her steps as she takes a deep breath in and has her back straight. And the “world” is, obviously, her new school environment. Friends, teachers, activities (maybe enemies 🥶...)

Overall, I’m really proud of how the movie is coming along. Can’t wait to see where this takes me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

my CCR

During my time working on the movie, I have created a Creative Critical Reflection (CCR) to answer the 4 specific questions about my movie: ...